Commit notifications for specs

Jakob Petsovits jpetso at gmx.at
Wed Apr 30 10:13:08 PDT 2008

On Wednesday, 30. April 2008, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:
> Long story short, it would be like this: if there is a fd.o spec for
> what you are doing and you are not using it, your app/library won't
> enter the official KDE/Gnome/whatever repository *unless* you provide
> good reasons for not implementing the fd.o spec (that "unless" is
> there in case the spec is disconnected from reality or plain junk).

Sounds cool, apart from the fact that pretty much all the stuff in need of
standardization already *is* in both desktops.

Icon loader? Has been there long before we had the naming spec.
Long-lasting progress bars? Not a new thing.
Trash folder? Been around forever.
etc.

Of course we might not accept new stuff into the desktops, but we can't simply
throw out the existing code just because it doesn't support a specification.
Also, I think it's not a good idea to prevent improvements just because
another feature is still missing.

Make sure no regressions take place in terms of spec support? Hell yeah!
Dispose code that is better than the current one and doesn't come with
regressions? Not really.

2c,
  Jakob