Commit notifications for specs

Emmanuele Bassi ebassi at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 10:26:08 PDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-30 at 19:06 +0200, Pau Garcia i Quiles wrote:

> > by the way: GIO implements various fd.o specifications - the
> > thumbnailing specification, the trash spec, the shared mime info spec,
> > etc. exactly like KIO does.
>
> KIO and GIO could have shared plugins ("slaves", in KIO slang) but
> they do not. That would have been very useful.

how would have this been even possible? GIO backends are implemented as
GObject using the GModule API, and they are even out of tree from the
GIO main library (see the gvfs module inside GNOME's SVN).

it would be possible to write a GIO backend using KIO modules, and GIO
wouldn't even notice that. the obvious requirement, though, would be
that the backend used GObject to be implemented.

good luck.

at one point we must realize the fact that GNOME and KDE are built on
two very different platforms; sharing specifications is possible - even
welcomed, but sharing API is only possible at a very low level.

> developed a GIO->KIO bridge which makes possible to use GIO plugins in
> KIO. It was not accepted in KDE, I can't remember why. But this bridge
> would have been unnecessary, or at least a thinner layer, had a common
> spec and/or API be agreed.

no common API is possible because the foundation libraries are
completely different. there's a low-level similarity for local files -
using the POSIX layer - but that's it.

ciao,
 Emmanuele.

--