Commit notifications for specs

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 30 10:48:27 PDT 2008

Emmanuele Bassi wrote:

> at one point we must realize the fact that GNOME and KDE are built on
> two very different platforms; sharing specifications is possible - even
> welcomed, but sharing API is only possible at a very low level.

Thank you!  Hearing someone actually say this is like a breath of fresh air.

I'd question whether or not we even *want* to harmonise these sorts of
things between desktop environments.  Part of their strength lies in
their foundation libraries and infrastructure.  If all of that is the
same, what's the point of having multiple desktop environments?  (Let's
temporarily ignore the people who think there's "too much" choice.)

My view is that fd.o largely exists to create standards that allow
*applications* to discover desktop-wide user preferences regardless of
what desktop is running.  Standardising on a VFS API seems a bit out of
scope.

	-brian