Default Program | File Association

Stanislav Brabec sbrabec at suse.cz
Fri Feb 1 02:48:03 PST 2008

David Faure wrote:
> On Wednesday 30 January 2008, Claes H wrote:
> > Even if it is too early to standardize something like this, hopefully
> > it can be used as input to the discussion, keeping in mind for future
> > extensions...
> Indeed.
>
> > perhaps some day we will see edit-defaults.list and view-defaults.list?
> Well we still need a main "defaults" file (for the double-click action) so we can't split it that way.
>
> So view/edit differenciation is more of an attribute of the mime-app association.
> Except that I can't really find a case where an app edits some mimetypes and only views
> other mimetypes,

Many programs are often able to read much more formats than they can
save. Some of them may be even read-only (e. g. bitmap editor can import
vector images). But I guess it's not exactly equal to what you was
thinking about.

There are applications, which can:

- Only View.

- Open, Edit, but cannot save as this MIME type.

- Open, Edit and Save this MIME type.

The last should be preferred for Edit

> so for now I'd suggest just making it a per-app setting, i.e.
> a new desktop file key like ActionType=edit or ActionType=view. Then filemanagers can
> split out the "edit" and the "view" associated applications into two groups.
> (I didn't name the key just "Action" because we have "Actions" already)

Something very similar (Desktop Action) is in:
http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-0.9.4.html

But it is not in version 1.0.

I can also imagine:
MimeType[edit]=text/plain

It would directly require definition (and human readable strings) for
"edit" somewhere.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer
SUSE LINUX, s. r. o.                          e-mail: sbrabec at suse.cz
Lihovarská 1060/12                            tel: +420 284 028 966
190 00 Praha 9                                fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic                                http://www.suse.cz/