User bus?

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Sat Feb 16 00:25:43 PST 2008

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>How about storing a file somewhere in $XDG_CACHE_HOME with the relevant
>info?  If DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS isn't set, and for some reason the X
>property can't be read, libdbus can (automatically!) fall back to this
> file.

D-Bus has an autostart mechanism already. If it can't find the environment
variable, it'll run dbus-launch --autolaunch and expect that one to find
the address correctly.

Right now, the only mechanism is storing the address in an X11 property in
Window held by the watchdog process. (There's a copy of said address in
$HOME/.dbus/session-bus/$MACHINE_ID-$DISPLAY)

Making dbus-launch talk to ConsoleKit wouldn't be that difficult. And it
would require no changes at all in libdbus-1.

But I must warn against per-user instead of per-user-and-session busses.
Many applications will simply not work correctly if the session bus spans
multiple desktop sessions.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358