User bus?

Patryk Zawadzki patrys at pld-linux.org
Sat Feb 16 02:11:27 PST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 9:25 AM, Thiago Macieira <thiago at kde.org> wrote:
> D-Bus has an autostart mechanism already. If it can't find the environment
> variable, it'll run dbus-launch --autolaunch and expect that one to find
> the address correctly.
>
> Right now, the only mechanism is storing the address in an X11 property in
> Window held by the watchdog process. (There's a copy of said address in
> $HOME/.dbus/session-bus/$MACHINE_ID-$DISPLAY)
>
> Making dbus-launch talk to ConsoleKit wouldn't be that difficult. And it
> would require no changes at all in libdbus-1.

Right, if you place the code in dbus-launch it can just give you back
what CK knows or fallback to X storage instead of launching a new
process.

> But I must warn against per-user instead of per-user-and-session busses.
> Many applications will simply not work correctly if the session bus spans
> multiple desktop sessions.

No, I already agreed with Havoc that this wouldn't have any extra
benefit and would be a pain to maintain. Given that CK knows which
session goes where, it would be possible to talk to other session
buses of the same user anyway, a simple GiveMeMyOtherBuses() DBUS
method would be enough.

--
Patryk Zawadzki
PLD Linux Distribution