shared-mime-info updates

David Faure dfaure at trolltech.com
Tue Jul 1 04:31:49 PDT 2008

On Monday 02 June 2008, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> If there is no objection to that cache format change, I'll get it
> committed next week.

No objections from the KDE side BTW, since we don't use mime.cache :-)

> One further issue I noticed: GIO has api to return a list of all
> registered mime types. There is currently no easy way to obtain this
> list from the shared-mime data, short of grubbing through all the
> subdirectories of /usr/share/mime. I think it would be a good idea to
> make this list more readily available.

KDE has a similar API call. We use ksycoca though, so collecting all known
mimetypes is fast (kbuildsycoca indeed goes through all the subdirs of /usr/share/mime,
to collect comments and icons as well). But I don't object to a generating file that lists all
mimetypes, we just won't use it AFAICS.

Anyway, thanks to you and Bastien for the update-mime-database change and the 0.40 release,
I'll finally be able to finish support for changing mimetype icons :-)