Elektra 0.7.0rc2

Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri barbieri at profusion.mobi
Tue Mar 25 21:13:59 PDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 12:28 AM, Daniel Bo <daengbo at gmail.com> wrote:
> Gustavo,
>

> > Do you have any comparisons of the advantage of using this instead of
> > EET[1,2]? Enlightenment is using EET for a long time now and things
> > just work, it's easy to use and performs well, does not depend on
> > external libraries.
> >
> > [1] http://wiki.enlightenment.org/index.php/Eet
> > [2] http://www.enlightenment.org/viewvc/e17/libs/eet/
> >

> I don't really know either project, but looking at the pages suggests that
> Elektra doesn't seek to do away with plain-text configuration files, but
> rather have a library which parses those files and presents the
> configuration information in a hierachical manner, much the way /proc does
> for the inner workings of the kernel.
>
> I think it's admirable, but not likely to work because of the enormous
> number of configuration files that need to be worked with.

EET is just that: hierarchical information, but it uses a binary
format underneath for easier manipulation, faster access and like.
Recently they got patches to support "inlined" strings so you just get
pointers to mmap()ed areas, also some layout changes to improve speed
and save memory. I think it's a great tool but not being advertised as
it deserves.
   As for use cases, Enlightenment uses it to store data from
configuration to thumbnails, theme descriptions with embedded images
and fonts, so it's being stressed in many ways.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi
MSN: barbieri at gmail.com