thumbnail mtime, ctime

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Thu Mar 27 12:36:32 PDT 2008

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:
>> Why should you re-thumbnail an image after it changed permissions? The
>> only reason I can see for that is if was readable and no isn't any
>> longer.
>
>Or your navigate to a folder, realize that you don't have read
>permission, so you fix it. But the thumbnail doesn't regenerate...

I don't see that as a valid use-case. If the file can't be read, there is
no thumbnail. So what would you be storing in the thumbnail cache? Since
there is no cached thumbnail, there's no problem in knowing that you have
to generate it when the file is readable.

Unless the thumbnail spec allows for a negative cache -- I don't know the
spec.

If you want the thumbnail to be generated (for the first time) the moment
you change permissions, that's a separate issue. That's an issue of the
file manager that you're using to watch the files for permission changes.

    PGP/GPG: 0x6EF45358; fingerprint:
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C  966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358