[icon naming] "zoom" vs. "page-zoom"

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Thu May 29 09:13:37 PDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 06:45 -0700, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > That would be like having user-trash, user-bookmarks, user-online,
> > user-desktop, and whatever else there might be, fall back to "user".
> >
> > Not very sensible at all is it?
>
> No it isn't very sensible because the icons in your example should be
> named: "trash-user", "bookmarks-user", "user-online" (this one is
> correct), and "bookmarks-user", we aren't going to worry about
> "user-online" since it will work either way, and "desktop-user" would
> fallback to "desktop"
>
> So this is perfectly sensible.

Your solution is sensible if you ignore the very precept of the Icon
Naming Specification, which is that the list of icons contained therein,
is the absolute base list of icons, and everything else should fall back
to something within the spec itself.

> Note: I really like the new icon naming system.  However, I am starting
> to wonder if those that invented it really understand it. :-D

As per your comments, I would suggest that the misunderstanding is in
fact, not on the creator's end.