org.freedesktop.PowerManagement version 0.2

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Thu Nov 13 14:08:02 PST 2008

Hello,

On Monday 02 April 2007 23:51:54 Richard Hughes wrote:
> Latest version for review:
>
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/temp/power-management-spec-0.2.html

I've been letting that rot for too long in my TODO list. We're internally
using "almost" the same interface in KDE (designed them to be as close as
possible of your proposal from the start). But because they've a couple of
differences I didn't retain the org.freedesktop interface naming yet. We're
preparing 4.2 and I'd like to make sure the interfaces we're using are shared.

Basically, the main difference is that the following methods/signals aren't
available on our interfaces:
 - Shutdown
 - Reboot
 - CanShutdown
 - CanReboot
 - CanShutdownChanged
 - CanRebootChanged
 - GetOnBattery
 - GetLowBattery
 - OnBatteryChanged
 - LowBatteryChanged

So my proposal would be the following for a 0.3 version of the spec. Strips
out those methods and signals from the main interface, and have two new
optional interfaces:

* org.freedesktop.PowerManagement.BatteryStatus containing:
  - GetOnBattery
  - GetLowBattery
  - OnBatteryChanged
  - LowBatteryChanged

* org.freedesktop.SessionManagement containing:
   - Shutdown
   - Reboot
   - CanShutdown
   - CanReboot
   - CanShutdownChanged
   - CanRebootChanged

I think the second one has already been pointed out in this thread (keep
session management separated from power management). If we agree on those
changes, I can basically support such a 0.3 version of the spec today, and
that'd probably be minor adjustments on the gnome-power-manager side (a few
methods moving to another interface).

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."