Proposed draft for the thumbnail D-Bus specification

Philip Van Hoof spam at pvanhoof.be
Mon Sep 8 08:10:53 PDT 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-07 at 15:20 +0200, Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen wrote:
> 2008/9/7 Philip Van Hoof <spam at pvanhoof.be>:

> >>  * Which URI schemes are supported? Can I thumbnail web pages? Perhaps
> >> there should be some introspection for this (both in the generic
> >> thumbnailer and the specialized ones).

I'm not going to do this. I tried specifying it and then implementing it
in the prototype: it quickly turned the prototype into a mess.

Not just the code turned into a mess, also the entire concept of wanting
to pass multiple uris in one Queue operation would have to be reviewed:

	If we'd let specialized thumbnailers filter uriSchemes, we would
	have to make double decisions on the grouping of what we pass
	to the specialized thumbnailer's create: grouping by uriScheme,
	and by mimeType.

For example: a generic thumbnailer would have to start doing an enormous
amount of house keeping like the rewriting of groups (into chunks with
the same mimeType and again and also chunks with the same uriScheme).

I would have liked a uriScheme filter per specialized thumbnailer, but I
do think the use-case is too small for the specification to require this
complexity.

A enormous complex specification would either simply scare implementers
away from making one in the first place, or would leave us with multiple
incorrectly implemented generic thumbnailers.

Which is the same as if we'd specified random data: The specification
renders itself equally irrelevant if nobody gets it right.

A lot of bla bla ... maybe I just failed at specifying this right. Of
course.

If you or somebody else does come up with a nice patch for the prototype
plus a specification that makes uri-scheme filtering possible, I'll
definitely reconsider this decision (after reviewing the complexity of
the patch for the prototype).

home: me at pvanhoof dot be
gnome: pvanhoof at gnome dot org
http://pvanhoof.be/blog