Icon theme spec on the website

Toma tomhaste at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 08:06:34 PDT 2008

2008/9/25 Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com>:
> On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 11:30 +0200, Stephan Arts wrote:
>> I noticed system-suspend system-hibernate and system-reboot are
>> missing from 0.8.90, is that is CVS?
>
> I've given up on the icon-naming-spec, it's just too hard for developers
> to get dobey to add new icons without a massive flame-war.
>
> I think the crux of the problem is that some people see the icon naming
> specification as a shared specification so that applications can have
> shared icon names, and other people see it as the minimum list of icons
> you have to draw in a theme.

Agreed. Too long have I battled with ridiculous icon names. Over in E
town, we're trying to get the icon themes to provide icons for the
file manager, but the majority of icon themes use hacks and links to
get them to work with a particular version of whatever. Now, you can
blame this on the icon packager, but part of the blame is in the spec,
for not outlining all the details.

That said, the whole spec needs a re-think and needs some serious
additions and rules.
Toma