More than a month to give CVS access

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Apr 2 08:55:56 PDT 2009

On Thursday 02 April 2009, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> I personally don't think new technologies should be developed as fd.o,
> since it looks like it's mandated. Instead, it should be the other way
> around: technologies that are de-facto shared get the fd.o stamp -- or
> technologies that are developed in collaboration to solve a common problem.

yes; there are enough free source code hosting services out there on the
Internet that fd.o doesn't need to play host to speculative development.

on the other hand, it's almost impossible to get a sane resolution to software
add requests on fd.o due to the fact that there is:

* no clear mandate on how the selection process should work[1] or what the
criterion for inclusion are

* no stakeholder participation in the selection process; instead we have a
couple of self-appointed gatekeepers which simply does not reflect the goals
of freedesktop.org

* no process of documenting what software is where and used by whom

this is on my list of things to fix in fd.o after the specs thing is sorted
out. in fact, i hope to use the specifications process of documenting the
usage data as a template for how to address this problem as well.

[1] i say "should work" because right now, to be perfectly frank, it doesn't

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se