Notifications spec: Icons

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Fri Apr 3 00:26:41 PDT 2009

Le Fredag 3 april 2009, Christian Hammond a écrit :

> We'll also break in the case of upgrading on a modern distro to a newer
> libnotify or notification-daemon. I suppose that could be worked around by
> having notification-daemon listen on both namespaces for a while, and have
> libnotify first check if the VisualNotifications namespace is being handled
> and then falling back on Notifications.

This is not an issue,
In the libnotify server you can keep the old depracated dbus interface for
compatibility,  and add the new one.

And the new libnotify would have a dependence on the new server. So you do not
have new application working with the old server.

> Another possibility is keeping the namespaces but introducing new methods
> for whatever else we need, but then that moves into the bigger discussion
> we're trying to avoid :)

I do not get it.  This is exactly what we are trying to discuss.  we're not
trying to avoid anything.