[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Luca Ferretti elle.uca at libero.it
Sun Aug 2 09:45:27 PDT 2009

2009/8/2 Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>:

>> This is an error in Italian language, it should be "Epiphany web
>> browser" (see the case of Web/web). This is just a fictional example,
>> just to show that the programmaticall approach couldn't be good for some
>> languages (I repeat, some language, and it's just a personal
>> hypothesis).
>
> That's an error on how you use Name and GenericName, nowhere in the
> speficication says you can team them up to get a meaningful string.
>
> But adding FullName to solve that is not a good idea either, Name is already
> FullName.
>
> Fix your software instead of breaking the specification.

_MY_ sofware??? How _I_ use Name and GenericName??

As I said I'm only a translator: someone asked feedback for i18n/l10n
so here I'm to report my experience on current labels in GNOME sofware
and to expose what could be good or useful to have.

And it was a _fictional_ example, using existing application name. If
you preferr, assuming

 Name=Dolphin
 GenericName=File Manager
 Name[it]=Dolphin
 GenericName[it]=Gestore file

in Italian language a raw "Dolphin Gestore file" is wrong (not ugly, wrong).

It should be "Gestore file Dolphin" or "Dolphin - Gestore file", but
you need to provide msgid "%1$s %2$s" as esplained before for
programmatical approach, or "Dolphin gestore file" (this is not wrong,
but really ugly), but you need to add FullName key.

Now, what about other languages? I suppose this is the point. How many
languages _really_ need FullName? How many languages are fine with
programmatical apporach (with/without positional msgid)?