[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Aug 2 10:06:37 PDT 2009

A Diumenge, 2 d'agost de 2009, Luca Ferretti va escriure:
> 2009/8/2 Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org>:
> >> This is an error in Italian language, it should be "Epiphany web
> >> browser" (see the case of Web/web). This is just a fictional example,
> >> just to show that the programmaticall approach couldn't be good for some
> >> languages (I repeat, some language, and it's just a personal
> >> hypothesis).
> >
> > That's an error on how you use Name and GenericName, nowhere in the
> > speficication says you can team them up to get a meaningful string.
> >
> > But adding FullName to solve that is not a good idea either, Name is
> > already FullName.
> >
> > Fix your software instead of breaking the specification.
>
> _MY_ sofware??? How _I_ use Name and GenericName??

Calm down dude, your as in plural others, not as in singlular you. Put a
"their" there if you like it more.

> As I said I'm only a translator: someone asked feedback for i18n/l10n
> so here I'm to report my experience on current labels in GNOME sofware
> and to expose what could be good or useful to have.
>
> And it was a _fictional_ example, using existing application name. If
> you preferr, assuming
>
>  Name=Dolphin
>  GenericName=File Manager
>  Name[it]=Dolphin
>  GenericName[it]=Gestore file
>
> in Italian language a raw "Dolphin Gestore file" is wrong (not ugly,
> wrong).

As i said, the problem is that trying to use the two keys to create a third
one is wrong and software that does that should be fixed not to.

> It should be "Gestore file Dolphin" or "Dolphin - Gestore file", but
> you need to provide msgid "%1$s %2$s" as esplained before for
> programmatical approach, or "Dolphin gestore file" (this is not wrong,
> but really ugly), but you need to add FullName key.
>
> Now, what about other languages? I suppose this is the point. How many
> languages _really_ need FullName? How many languages are fine with
> programmatical apporach (with/without positional msgid)?

No, the question is not if Name and GenericName can be used to form a new
entity, the obvious answer to that is no, you can't, and whoever is doing that
needs to stop doing it.

The question is, do we REALLY need a new key? What's the use case? Menus only?
If it's menus, can't we just work out our menus better like for example KDE
KickOff does[1] to avoid making translators have even more work than the one
they have?

Albert

[1] http://gambitchess.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/kfav.png