[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Michael Pyne mpyne at purinchu.net
Mon Aug 3 09:39:23 PDT 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009 10:43:10 John Tapsell wrote:

> >> I don't get what you're saying.  I wrote  i18n("%1 %2"), but you might
> >> have missed that.  Is that the confusion?
> >
> > Where i18n() is the function that magically fixes translations ?
> > How does that work ?
>
> So can you give an example please?  I still can't see any concrete case.

Well Shaun mentioned case declension but he didn't give one in his example.

For instance, if you had "Epiphany" and "Web Browser" and you wanted to
combine them, some languages would require "Web Browser" to be in different
case.

e.g. "Epiphany webo browsero"

The i18n() function couldn't just do a "plug in the translated string", either
it would have to know how to make the cases work correctly, or a completely
different translated string would be required.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne