Unifying file managers' right-click menu interfaces

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Mon Aug 17 07:15:55 PDT 2009

This one is good enough. I'm also thinking about how to implement this
in PCManFM, the core file manager of LXDE. However, once there are
many services installed, you'll get an over-crowded popup menu.
Besides, you cannot create a submenu to group related tasks by using
this former-spec. In addition, I think we don't only need mime type
globs like image/*, but we also need filename globs.
In addition, an extension enabling checking the content of the folder
and then generate a popup menu will be great.

For example:
When a folder contains many image files, it make sense to have an
entry for an album manager like Picasa or gthumb in the popup menu of
the folder item.
When a folder contains many ogg files, it make sense to have an entry
"Play in XXXX" for music player or something like EasyTag, which
manages music files.
When you have a folder contains .svn, you should have a submenu
contains frequently-used svn commands.
Popup menu, or context menu, should be changed according to current
context. Having different menu items for different mime-types is not
enough. For folders having quite different contents, it make sense to
provide different popup menus to the users.
This are my ideas for future file managers and I want to do it in LXDE.

If this can be standardized, then nautilus scripts and services used
by KDE can be unified.