Trash Can Question

Alexander Larsson alexl at redhat.com
Fri Aug 21 01:51:35 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-08-06 at 00:05 +0200, Andrea Francia wrote:
> 2009/8/5 David Faure <faure at kde.org>
>         In practice I would recommend using utf8 everywhere and
>         getting rid
>         of the whole "filesystem encoding" mess in the first place.
>

> Who is interested to work a new draft (a draft) of the spec which
> solves this and the other problems emerged?

This is not a "problem" that should be "solved". It was very
delibirately added to the spec in order to allow all files to be
trashed. How would you trash a file named some non-utf8 string if only
utf8 is allowed in the format?

Filenames on linux are zero terminated arrays of bytes. If you treat it
like anything else you will just fail in some corner cases.

Of course, we should all move towards all filenames being in UTF8, avoid
creating non-UTF8 filenames, etc. That is a different issue, and should
not make us limit our specifications to only work on a subset of the
valid filenames.