Need for new multimedia categories

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 17:29:59 PDT 2009

On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Vincent Untz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le mardi 04 août 2009, à 04:00 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil a écrit :
>> After careful consideration we decided to use special "X-..."
>> categories to classify the multimedia applications according to the
>> demand. This suggests using these additional categories:
>
> FWIW, it'd help to have a short description for each of the proposed
> category :-)
>
>> X-AudioVideo-Import
>> X-AudioVideo-Capture
>
> Do we really need to differentiate those two?

Nope. One or the other would be fine.

>> X-Digital_Processing
>> X-Synthesis
>
> Same question, I guess.

Here, Digital Processing can be used for effects that are applied to
AUDIO input. For instance you plug in your guitar, and put distortion,
reverb, wah effects on top.
Synthesis is geared more towards MIDI instruments. I think a
distinction is needed between AUDIO and MIDI in this sense. But of
course, if we don't want too many predefined categories, one can
define the submenus so that they correspond to "Audio;Synthesis;" and
"Midi;Synthesis;" categories in the desktop file.

>> X-Jack
>
> Is it really needed? Sounds a bit weird to add this to me.

If I had a choice of adding only one Audio category to freedesktop
standards, Jack would be my choice. It is the standard library for
audio production. Jack is as much standard in Linux world as MIDI is.
I believe that listing Jack applications in one submenu is very, very
useful. The most important and powerful feature of Jack is, Audio and
Midi applications that use Jack can easily connect to each other. Jack
users typically use multiple Jack applications at once.

>> X-Multitrack
>> X-Trackers
>
> Need to differentiate?

Nope.

>> X-Notation
>
> Notation is probably too generic, but makes sense. Is it only for music
> stuff? If yes, we could use MusicNotation.

Yes. It was meant to be only for music stuff. But it can be used in
science and in other areas too. So one can use "Audio;Notation;",
"Science;Notation;" etc.

>> X-Output-Generation
>> X-Streamer
>> Hrm. Not clear what app you would put there. So maybe those need better
> names ;-) Or at least the description.

Example applications would be:  AV Multiplexing, Audio Streamer,
Subtitle Editor, Format Changer, Video Streamer

>> X-Subtitle-Editor
>
> Are there enough apps for this category to be worth existing?

There are not "many". I guess we can live without this for a while.
But things might change in the future.

>> X-Audio_Tools
>
> This one sounds like something you could achieve with Utility;Audio; ?

Yes, right.

> Thanks,
>
> Vincent

I will summarize everything and file them as a bug to the bugzilla as
Stanislav suggested. Thanks for the feedback!

Orcan