OSD symbols

Ted Gould ted at gould.cx
Wed Dec 2 20:50:49 PST 2009

First things first. There is NEVER a bad time for an Inkscape 0.47
feature tour. Wedding, out drinking with friends, colonoscopy. All
good times to bring up the goodness that is Inkscape 0.47. :)

On Dec 2, 2009, at 5:39 PM, Kenneth Wimer <kwwii at sinecera.de> wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 December 2009 11:55:13 pm Jakub Steiner wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 11:33 PM, Ted Gould <ted at gould.cx> wrote:
>>> WRT icons wanting to use shades of particular colors or other
>>> things for
>>> highlights, that can be achieved using SVG filters.  I don't believe
>>> that rsvg supports the color map filter today, but fixing that would
>>> probably be better than fixing it on icon theme side of things.
>>> This
>>> should give artists full control of what colors or shades of colors
>>> they're using.  In some cases, this could look bad, but that's
>>> what bug
>>> trackers are for ;)
>>
>> Hi Ted
>> ...erm, or just set the stroke/fill color? This isn't Inkscape 0.47
>> feature tour ;)
>>
>> What the important part here is that the color isn't defined in the
>> icon itself, it's up to the widget theme to define in all sorts of
>> different contexts like we have it for text. Eg. panel, menu,
>> toolbar,
>> when it's hovered over, disabled, that sort of thing.
>>
>> I would really want to keep this simple and monochrome (within one
>> icon). As Rodney said, if we needed the complexity we could just
>> stick
>> to the generic theme. If we'd need a dramatic red color, we can color
>> the whole thing/background. And it would probably simplify the
>> implementation of the widget colors<>icon bridge.
>
> Just having a stroke with one colour is not always enough, if you
> ask me.
>
> So called monochrome icons might also need to add a darker/lighter
> inset/outset at times to help define things. Ted, any ideas on how
> to define
> those parts within the SVG? Perhaps adjusting the variable in a
> matrix or
> such...If we are going to change things, let's change them with enough
> flexibility to really allow for different interpretations from the
> start.

So SVG filters are actually designed for this type of stuff, and have
been in SVG for quite a while. They just got significantly more useful
in Inkscape in 0.47.

The specific filter that I'm thinking of is the color matrix operand
which basically allows for arbitrary math on the color. So you could
do things like "lighter than foreground" or other such stuff. I'll
trust the artists to figure out what they need there ;)

I'm on my phone now, so it's hard to do links. But I'll send some
examples tomorrow.

         --Ted