[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 08:20:34 PDT 2009

Adding FullName won't be a good idea. I agree that desktop files
should be fixed instead.
I, however, have a question regarding to usability.
For example, xfce4 uses Terminal as the name of their terminal emulator.
The name Terminal looks somewhat generic.
However, if they show 'xfce4-terminal' in the menu, it is actually a
meaningless name to the users and this can hurt usability.
When naming desktop accessories such as text editor, image view, file
manager, or something similar, using a more generic name is more
friendly to the users.
What does Nautilus mean? It doesn't matter. If it's displayed in the
menu as 'File Manager' rather then 'Nautilus', this will be more user
friendly.
Of course you can show GenericName in tooltips or in the second line,
but for first-time users, it's really hard to find the right program
they want according to the names of the programs.
So, we use generic names in Name keys in our LXDE sometimes when suitable.
For desktop accessories/utilities, I think a more generic name is more
suitable for Name.