[desktop entry spec] new FullName key

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 10:35:27 PDT 2009

On Thu, 2009-07-23 at 20:00 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Thursday 23 July 2009, Michael Pyne wrote:
> > hearing someone from a i18n who has actually had a problem completing the
> > translation because the current means available are insufficient.

The i18n issues aren't in translating the text. It's that if you combine
the two items on a single line, it may not appear to be correct in all
languages. There's a lot you need to consider beyond "is it translated?"

> it hasn't come up, and we just recently had a full (and at time painful ;)
> review of i18n issues in the kde4 desktop shell which prompted a number of
> issues to be raised (and solved :). so either the status quo is just taken for
> granted and people are working around it to a satisfactory degree or it really
> is enough.

Does KDE4 handle ordering of Name and GenericName correctly? IE, for RTL
languages, does it do (GenericName) Name and such?

> i'll ask the i18n guys explicitly the next time i see them, though. (will be
> back home in a couple days, which will make that easier)

Either way, I don't think adding FullName is the answer to the problems.
Part of the problem (at least, for GNOME) is that the HIG tells
developers to do things the broken way, which is generally not suitable
for other desktops, or users. The way to fix broken UI isn't to change
the spec to work with your broken UI, it's to fix the UI. Even in SUSE,
the slab uses the 2-line with the reverse of what I think gnome-shell
wants to do. And we had to patch a crapload of .desktop files so we
could get the right strings, because so many of them are just broken.

And translating the same string multiple times in one file just deal
with UI issues seems like the totally incorrect way to solve whatever
the actual problem is.