Voting mechnism is needed for xdg discussion.

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 06:02:47 PDT 2009

Hi all,
I'm lead developer of LXDE, a lightweight desktop environment
following xdg standards.
As everyone on  this mailing list knows, current desktop environments
have many long-standing issues
without consensus. All too often someone might have some proposals on
the mailing list, and gets
replies from several people, and then, the discussion just disappears.
The issues are still there.
Otherwise, there might be someone says "If there is no objection, I'll
add XXXX to the spec."
Later, maybe nobody noticed that issue, and the spec was changed silently.
Besides, if the original author of that spec doesn't agree the change,
no matter how many people want it, the spec won't be changed.
This is not a really good way to achieve the goal of xdg.
A more democratic and efficient way is hence needed.

I propose setting up a voting mechanism for some unresolved issues.
A forum hosted on freedesktop.org or some other places is acceptable.

For unresolved but critical issues, like naming of some icons in the
icon theme spec,
we can wait a period of time (maybe one week) and let the users
nominate possible options.
Then, a vote can be held, and the users on this mailing list can vote
on those issues.

If the people joining the vote is too few, the result can be invalid.
Otherwise some unresolved issues can be settled.

Please consider this. Voting can definitely improve the efficiency of
decision making.
Besides, the result of the vote can be acceptable by most of the developers.
We can know what most developers really want. Since the specs were formed in
a democratic way, most implementers will happily follow them and the
controversies can be minimized.

If nobody is going to do this, we're willing to set up a forum for it.