Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Aurélien Gâteau aurelien.gateau at canonical.com
Fri Jun 12 07:33:37 PDT 2009

Hello again,

In this mail I would like to address the first issue from the
notification spec I mentioned in my earlier mail: Ability to assign an
icon *and* an image to a notification.

KDE notifications need to be able to show an icon and an image at the
same time. This is because KDE notifications can show an icon to the
left of the notification summary and an image to the left of the body
(see attached screenshot).

As of KDE 4.3, KDE uses its own DBus interface, which is quite similar
to the org.freedesktop.Notifications except the "icon_data" hint is
named "image_data" and the implementation shows both "app_icon" and
"image_data" if they are both set.

Proposal:

1. Remove the "icon_data" hint

2. Add an "image" component to the notification, which would be
represented as two parameters in the Notify() method: image_type and
image_data.

image_type: an int which can take the following values, indicating what
image_data contains:
0: no icon
1: an icon name in a freedesktop.org-compliant icon theme
2: path to an existing image on disk
3: argb32 data represented as iiay (width, height, array of pixels)
   (This is a simplified version of the actual "icon_data" hint, which
   is a bit over-engineered.)

image_data: a byte array whose content is interpreted according to the
value of image_type.

3. Define the following policy:

"""
A notification can optionally have an image and/or an icon.

An implementation must behave in one of these ways:
- Never show neither image nor icon.
- Show image if it is set, otherwise show icon.
- Show both image and icon.
"""

What do you think about this?

Aurélien