Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Jun 25 14:23:13 PDT 2009

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 06/25/2009 01:53 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
>> fd.o has control put into place in all the wrong places.
>>
>> people should be free and encouraged to host drafts and experimental work
>> somewhere we can all get to them.
>>
>> it should be an additional set of steps to go from that to being an agreed
>> upon specification.
>>
>> right now, it's pretty hard to get anything anywhere near fd.o's website or
>> git repo (several examples of that recently), but it's blazingly easy to use
>> org.freedesktop or other shared properties in implementation.
>>
>> it's completely backwards.
>
> How do you fix that, though?  Well, I imagine there are ways to fix the
> first half, but how do you make it hard to use org.freedesktop in an
> implementation that hasn't received an appropriate amount of consensus?
>   Or is that just a social aspect that has to be enforced by people
> being vigilant and saying "don't do that" when it happens, and not
> giving up when someone tries it anyway?

Possibly: find people that are willing to act as stewards, and actually
take that position seriously.

Of course, finding people without any sort of political bent towards
this project or that project, or that won't let it color their guidance
and work, is difficult.

But it's insane that to get access to work in a git repo for a fd.o
project, you have to submit your information to their bugzilla database,
wait a month, then have people that already have accounts beg and plead
on said bugs for someone to actually create these accounts.  It's not
exactly the way to foster collaboration, especially if you want to put
specifications in git (which is a great idea, IMHO, so that people can
branch and work on them in the open and in a visible fashion...this is
what HAL already does, actually).

--Jeff