Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 25 14:32:02 PDT 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 06/25/2009 12:52 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > c) this particular request actually has a very real purpose behind it:
> > it's confusing naming, and some of us would like to see a full
> > notifications specification landed at some point that includes not just
> > visual notifications
>
> Could you explain this a bit more?  What other kinds of notifications
> are there, and how are they not served by the current spec?  My
> understanding is that the current spec was designed with the potential
> for a non-GUI logging daemon in mind as well, but I guess you're talking
> about something else...?

sure; the design we currently employ is this:

* application defines and activates a notification, which is simply a set of
data with the information the notification is trying to communicate with a
preferred default representation target

* upon activation, a central notification daemon actually processes the
notification: should it be logged? make a sound? display on screen? this
central system allows for user customization, administrative controls as well
as for the notification system to be extended or adjusting without touching
applications (which simply say "here's my information, communicate it" and
nothing more).

* in the case of visual notifications, that central notification daemon sends
out the appropriate dbus call to the notification visualization (in galago's
terminology, that is the server/daemon)

so galago covers the bridge between points 2 and 3 above.

notifications are a lot more than just visual notifications, however, and
there's nothing really for the bridging between points 1 and 2 feasible with
the galago spec (which is fine; that's not the use case it's designed for).

we have a working and well proven mechanism for this in KDE, going back to
KDE2 times now. it currently has a dbus interface since we moved away from
dcop, and we feel there is real benefit to having such a thing. Lubos can go
into more details about the benefits there than i can, but that's what we
consider to be "Notifications". the visual display of certain notifications is
a related by separate issue.

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se