Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Thu Jun 25 14:36:07 PDT 2009

On 06/25/2009 02:18 PM, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Well, from various existing software examples:
>
> Visual

Obviously the current spec handles this.  Canonical's extensions to
display things like volume levels is useful, but still works within the
confines of the current spec, with extensions.

> Audio

Couldn't I implement a notification daemon that used text-to-speech to
read the notification text aloud?  Or are you talking about something else?

> Logging (good for servers too)

The notifications spec mentions this usage, and I don't see anything
keeping someone from implementing a notification daemon that also does
logging (or only does logging).

> SMS (mostly servers)

Send notifications to a SMS gateway.  Don't want a lot of spam?  Filter
by the category hint, the urgency hint, the Notify() method's "app_name"
parameter, or some combination.

> IM (mostly servers)

Same as SMS.

> You can actually see a very good example of the shortcomings of a
> visual-only spec if you look at Growl on OS X.  Many programs use it for
> visual notifications, and then have to implement their own notifications
> to be delivered via audio or one of the other above methods.  Wouldn't
> it be nice if you had a spec where the user could define how they wanted
> *all* types of their notifications to be delivered?

I'm still not seeing how that's not possible with the current spec...  I
suspect I'm just missing out on understanding a particular use case you
have in mind, but I can't seem to figure it out.

	-brian