Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 25 14:43:28 PDT 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> On 06/25/2009 01:27 PM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 25 June 2009, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> >> Thank you -- that's exactly how I feel like this conversation is going.
> >>    As a notifications daemon implementer, I *really* don't appreciate
> >> being told "hey, just because we're pissed off that this wasn't
> >> standardised in the 'proper' way, you have to change how your app works
> >> and make a new release, otherwise you won't be compatible with apps
> >> going forward."  That's a dick move.
> >
> > Brian, while I don't appreciate the tone of your email here (and feel it
> > borders on offensive), I'm glad that you're at least expressing your
> > opinion. I'd ask, however, that you do not rewrite history: we have been
> > raising these issues about galago for years here on this list as well as
> > directly with the authors. i understand that it's convenient for you to
> > ignore that, but the annoying situation you're in is your own making at
> > this point.
>
> Sorry, but I wasn't involved in the Galago project, and, unless my
> memory is off, I wasn't involved with fd.o back when Galago came about.
>
> If you're saying that the situation I'm in is of my own making because I
> found galago-project.org, saw that it used the org.freedesktop
> namespace, and saw that people were using notification-daemon and
> libnotify on the desktop and thought it was useful enough to write an
> implementation of it, then... sure, that situation is of my own making
> and is certainly my "fault."
>
> If you're trying to suggest that I was a part of the initial
> standardisation non-process and I'm responsible for hijacking the fd.o
> namespace, then that couldn't be farther from the truth.
>
> > I'd also hope that you would value the working nature of fd.o as a
> > collaboration point for F/OSS projects, and as such start engaging in a
> > process of "how do we fix this" instead of continuing to argue something
> > that will not actually lead to significant improvement.
>
> Yes, I'm getting the feeling that this thread is a dead end.  I intended
> perhaps 2 emails on the subject, but clearly it's gone farther than that.
>
> I love maintaining backwards compat when possible.  I hate rewriting
> things.  I hate throwing away code that works.  And while yes, it does
> have flaws, current o.fd.Notifications code does work.  It would be nice
> to keep that working when we move forward.
>
> But I don't just mean that in the sense that we can support both
> interfaces at the same time.  If we add a completely new interface and
> clients start using it, presumably they won't be using the old interface
> anymore.  So daemon implementations that haven't implemented the new
> interface yet just don't display notifications from those clients
> anymore at all, rather than displaying notifications that are
> potentially degraded.
>
> > now, you don't want to see any change in org.freedesktop.Notifications.
> > i'm willing to accept that, and if that is what happens it will mark the
> [...]

at the moment, we have no official tools. my proposal has been this:

* we have all the specs, agreed on, drafts, crap, etc. hosted in a common
repository (e.g. a git repo). all work on them goes on in that repository and
nobody has to ask for permission to add a new spec, or fork the repository and
work on changes / improvements / additions to existing specs

* specs would have maintainers who are charged with providing oversight; when
they disappear (it happens in F/OSS as we all know :) then we find a
replacement

* drafts/changes are accepted into the spec using simple consensus (e.g. based
on discussion on this list or elsewhere involving the stakeholders) combined
with "maintainer has the tie breaker vote" sort of mechanism

* projects that implement the spec record that they do so (along with which
version(s) of their software include support for which version(s) of teh spc)
alongside the specification itself in the repository itself in an xml file.
projects can also record a lack of intention to implement or support a given
spec.

* determining the consensual support for a spec then becomes a simple task of
tallying up projects that are users of, passed on or just not taken up a
position on a given spec

once a certain threshold is passed[1] then it gets flagged (something that can
be done automatically, even) as an "fd.o accepted specification" and then gets
further privileges like use of org.freedesktop on the dbus.

this wouldn't be much overhead at all, the new bits can be nearly all
automated (and i'm willing to write those bits), the results can easily be
pushed to a website or referred to by third parties looking to implement
interesting specs, actually _lowers_ the barrier to entry and creates a "paper
trail" for it all.

i actually started an experimental git repo for this on gitorious.org, and
half a dozen or so people have working copies of it.

i think such a system would alleviate the bulk of future issues without
bogging us down in bureaucracy.

[1] what that is needs some discussion, but shouldn't be too difficult to
arrive at; perhaps sth like "KDE and GNOME, or one of those plus a % of the
other projects involved, or all the other non-KDE/GNOME projects")

--
Aaron J. Seigo
humru othro a kohnu se