Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Olivier Goffart ogoffart at kde.org
Fri Jun 26 04:16:24 PDT 2009

Le Thursday 25 June 2009, Aurélien Gâteau a écrit :
> Olivier Goffart wrote:
> > That's wrong.  We do not want any timeout.  The norification has to stay
> > forever until it is closed by the user or by the client application.
>
> There are multiple ways to define a notification timeout in KDE:
>
> - Show a notification using the KNotification::CloseOnTimeout flag (on
> by default). Then you get a 6 seconds timeout.

Yes this is the only way.

> - Define the "Timeout" key in your knotifyrc file (which no one seems to
> do[1]) then you get a static timeout in seconds. My understanding is
> that if you use KNotification::CloseOnTimeout together with this key,
> then the notification will be closed in 6 seconds even if "Timeout" is
> set to a higher value (haven't tried it though).

This can be done in addition, and it is only for the visual notification, and
it was done for some particular use case in the past i do not remember why.
But this is an exception anyway.

> Since the "Timeout" key is virtually unused, we could fix this by having
> KNotificationManager tell KNotify whether the notification is persistent
> or not. KNotify would translate this to a notification spec timeout:
> Persistent => 0, CloseOnTimeout => -1.

Not -1.   Just say only persistent. And knotify takes care of the timeout.

Remember that only knotify knows when to close the notification. The
notification may have others presentations that the visual one.

> > I am not sure the image can still possibly works on kde with this patch.
>
> I do not understand what you mean.

The format of the image which is sent is not the same as the image wich is
received.
Or I misread the patch.