Notification spec issue: Ability to assign an icon *and* an image to a notification

Lubos Lunak l.lunak at suse.cz
Fri Jun 26 08:14:15 PDT 2009

On Friday 26 of June 2009, Christian Hammond wrote:
> So I'm sorry to everyone who's pissed at us for "screwing everyone over" as
> I believe someone else in this thread put it. Be sure that our intent was
> not to screw anyone over but to provide a good standard that could work as
> a basis for notifications. Sure, it's not perfect, but show me any spec
> that got everything right the first time. When we wrote this, there was
> little to base this on

 Except for this KDE desktop that had been using something similar for years
by that time. Which you didn't bother to briefly examine or, after you were
told, to consider.

> and really this is the first time in many years that
> I've seen *anybody* complain about this. Maybe people were upset and didn't
> tell me, which is a shame because I would have been glad to work with
> people to do things about this.

 Too bad there is evidence showing otherwise:
- http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-July/002687.html (saying that
the proposal is not usable for KDE's KNotify)
- http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-September/003262.html - "This
specification is still not acceptable for KDE on that form."
- http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-July/002683.html - "As the
example above shows, the spec cannot be in this current form extended to the
level of KNotify features even by adding KDE-specific extensions."

 These mostly go without answers, or are handled with something along the
lines of "well, but we don't like it, so no".

 And, my personal favorite
http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/xdg/2004-September/003308.html , where
Mike Hearn says "I'd veto adding sound back in for such a reason." , like if
a fd.o specification was something he was the ultimate owner of.

> However, the way this discussion has gone,
> and with the interesting view of the history of our project

 My view is that you wanted to have the spec the way you decided and weren't
really open for input, and there are the archives to show it. That is no way
to create shared specifications. I assume you had good intentions and I know
specifications aren't simple to create, but you simply can't go now like you
did everything properly and are suprised somebody might actually complain.

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer
SUSE LINUX, s.r.o.   e-mail: l.lunak at suse.cz , l.lunak at kde.org
Lihovarska 1060/12   tel: +420 284 084 672
190 00 Prague 9      fax: +420 284 028 951
Czech Republic       http://www.suse.cz