icon naming spec project on launchpad?

Kenneth Wimer kwwii at sinecera.de
Mon Jun 29 06:51:07 PDT 2009

On Sunday 28 June 2009 23:26:03 Rodney Dawes wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-06-28 at 14:31 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Sunday 28 June 2009, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> > > The big problem is that noone else but Rodney is willing to maintain
> > > the spec.
> >
> > if someone was found who would maintain it and had the appropriate
> > experience to do so, would such a thing be accepted?
>
> I will accept help with maintaining the spec, yes. However, nobody
> really wants to actually help. A few people from Red Hat just seem to
> want to complain very loudly because they have some social problem with
> the maintainer, and refuse to cooperate in a manner that would work for
> everyone involved.
>
> > i don't want to speak for others here, so i won't name names right now,
> > but i can think of at least three people involved with art in F/OSS from
> > different projects that i could see taking this on.
> >
> > if it's really an issue of "find a new maintainer who can move it forward
> > in a way that works for everyone involved", that's an easy one to solve.
>
> Frankly, you're not going to find anyone with the time or patience to
> deal with the annoyances involved. And nobody has come to me asking
> to help, either.

Well, that is not strictly true. We did have a discussion or two about it in
the past but nothing concrete came out of it.

I would love to help if you'll take me ;) It seems to me that the first thing
needed is a more formal request process. It gets quite hard following a
discussion about an icon in an app on a desktop you don't use - and nobody can
be expected to install, use, understand and like everything.

In addition, much of these requests get lost/forgotten after a first decision
has been made: collating the information and storing it for the future would
be better. At least I know it would help me :p

Anyway, I'll help, if you'd like.

--
Kenneth