Starting discussion on a new version of the notification spec

Casper Clemence maninalift at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 29 07:57:56 PDT 2009

On 06/15/2009 08:10 AM, William Jon McCann wrote:

> Do you have a specific response to the problems that they describe at
> the following?
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NotificationDevelopmentGuidelines#Avoiding%20actions
>
> I'd be very interested to see it.  I think that rationale is fairly
> compelling actually.

That is a design issue that may be solved in different ways in
different implementations and platforms. From my experience it is of
little practical importance (have you ever heard of anyone for whom
this has actually caused a problem?). Theoretically it is a
significant problem but not an insurmountable one by any means. Simply
delaying interactivity for ~250ms after an item is displayed could
prevent any critical problems (ie accidentally interacting with
notification) and the work-blocking problem, so long as the
notification system is well designed, for example allowing the user to
dismiss notifications, should not be much more of an annoyance than
the canonical system.

Does the problem seem bigger than this to you?