icon naming spec project on launchpad?

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 18:26:44 PDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-06-29 at 23:09 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 28.06.09 18:10, Aaron J. Seigo (aseigo at kde.org) wrote:
>
> > > The big problem is that noone else but Rodney is willing to maintain
> > > the spec.
> >
> > so, i should have asked this the first time, but i figured maybe an irc meet-
> > up would be a better place for that. apparently we're at the point where we
> > don't trust each other enough to feel that such a meeting would be valuable
> > and result in something useful.
> >
> > so ... Lennart, can you let us know what the concrete issues you are facing
> > with the icon spec are? please do so without assigning blame, pointing fingers
> > or getting polemic. just describe what you wanted to see happen, and what
> > actually happened instead.
> >
> > with concrete examples on the table, we can work through them. together.
>
> As always in free software someone needs to stand up and do the
> work. If there's someone who has the time, capabilities, interest
> and isn't crazy then he shouldn't have much trouble to get accepted as
> new maintainer of the spec.
>
> The spec is not the bible. It's just a list of generally agreed on
> names. There's no need to make all that fuss about it. Discussions
> like this one or the one whether a headset is more like headphones or
> the other way round are completely uninteresting and
> irrelevant. JFDI -- don't waste the time for talking.

If it's just a list of things, it's not a spec, it's just a list of
things. If you want to JFDI, then you're not looking for a spec, what
you're looking for is to JFDI because you don't care. What you want to
do is do it one way, be done with it, and expect that maybe someone will
do it the same way when they have to do it. If it's going to be a spec
which includes common names that multiple desktops use, then people from
all sides need to be involved in the discussion. If it's one person, and
the spec maintainer discussing it, and there is some confusion, and a
deadlocked contention, it's obvious there needs to be input from some
other point of view. But that is not what you want.

> Please also note that I am not a UI developer, only indirectly, where
> my stuff needs to covered in the UI. I am really not the one who
> you should be discussing all this. I just wanted three icons in the spec
> and then got pissed off by Rodney's way to handle that. Just read the
> archives.

If you don't want to discuss it, then don't. Find someone who has the
knowledge about the system and have them discuss it instead. You're
pissed off because I didn't do exactly what you want. I had questions
which were unanswered, and there was contention. I'm not going to stick
icons in the spec if there is a locked contention like that. It doesn't
make sense. If I make a patch to pulseaudio, and you disagree with it,
and have some contention with me in the same way, you're going to tell
me to shove off. I asked politely to get feedback from other angles,
so that we can have the best solution in the spec, rather than the
what one person did in one app/library, in the spec, which may not make
sense for the organization of the spec, or other desktops. If requesting
further feedback in order to make a more educated, and professional
decision pisses you off, then have other maintainers isn't going to
help.