icon naming spec project on launchpad?

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Mon Jun 29 14:09:56 PDT 2009

On Sun, 28.06.09 18:10, Aaron J. Seigo (aseigo at kde.org) wrote:

> > The big problem is that noone else but Rodney is willing to maintain
> > the spec.
>
> so, i should have asked this the first time, but i figured maybe an irc meet-
> up would be a better place for that. apparently we're at the point where we
> don't trust each other enough to feel that such a meeting would be valuable
> and result in something useful.
>
> so ... Lennart, can you let us know what the concrete issues you are facing
> with the icon spec are? please do so without assigning blame, pointing fingers
> or getting polemic. just describe what you wanted to see happen, and what
> actually happened instead.
>
> with concrete examples on the table, we can work through them. together.

As always in free software someone needs to stand up and do the
work. If there's someone who has the time, capabilities, interest
and isn't crazy then he shouldn't have much trouble to get accepted as
new maintainer of the spec.

The spec is not the bible. It's just a list of generally agreed on
names. There's no need to make all that fuss about it. Discussions
like this one or the one whether a headset is more like headphones or
the other way round are completely uninteresting and
irrelevant. JFDI -- don't waste the time for talking.

Please also note that I am not a UI developer, only indirectly, where
my stuff needs to covered in the UI. I am really not the one who
you should be discussing all this. I just wanted three icons in the spec
and then got pissed off by Rodney's way to handle that. Just read the
archives.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net