What constitutes "user configuration files" in the XDG basedir spec?

Axel Liljencrantz liljencrantz at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 14:41:32 PST 2009

2009/3/5 Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be>

> On Wed, 4 Mar 2009 22:17:43 +0100
> Axel Liljencrantz <liljencrantz at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I didn't mean that the path the data takes while traveling to disk is
> > what made it into state, I was strictly talking about the nature of
> > the data stored. Another example. The next major fish release is
> > planned to use universal variables to share a common command history
> > between all running shells. Surely, that is state, not configuration?
> > I believe it was even mentioned earlier in this discussion as an
> > example of application state.
> >
> > Axel
>
> Yes indeed. that would be state :)

Which brings us to the question of where the backing store for universal
variables should be stored if one where to separate configuration data from
state. I'd say that it would better to store it with config data, because
the implication of separating them to me would be that it is more ok to
'lose' state, e.g. maybe we don't back it up, etc.. It seems better to me to
err on the side of causion then.

Axel