Shared Mime spec: overriding globs locally

David Faure faure at kde.org
Tue Mar 31 11:42:52 PDT 2009

On Thursday 26 March 2009, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-03-26 at 11:30 +0100, David Faure wrote:
> > What's the next step? I can provide a patch for the spec, but I have to rely on you
> > guys to do the code changes.

Patch for the specification attached, please review.

> Are there really much code changes required?

No, indeed. But last I touched update-mime-database I didn't manage to make it
do what I wanted, for lack of glib programming experience (see the thread "main extension for a mimetype").
Your help on that issue would be very much appreciated as well.

> We need some stuff in the xml parser that converts the deleteall nodes
> to some "magic-value" rules.
>
> Then we need to check for these magic values when reading the files.

Yep.

The issue is how to test this, since the whole test harness currently reads from only
one directory...
Well when we said "previous directories" it's really "any previously read info", so we
could also just have a test packages/foo.xml file that defines a mimetype with a pattern
and then redefines it with deleteall="true" followed by another pattern, and then checking
that only the last pattern works.
But if you want to skip on the auto-testing step that's fine with me, I'll unit-test this
from the KDE unittests anyway :-)