shared-mime: Including generated files

David Persson davidpersson at qeweurope.org
Tue Mar 24 07:08:19 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm the maintainer of a CakePHP plugin[1] which is MIT licensed.

I implemented the spec and wrote a parser in PHP for the magic and globs
files[2] generated by the update-mime-database command from the
shared-mime package.

Can I distribute those files with the plugin without affecting the
plugins license?

For me it remains unclear if those generated files are counting as
derivative works and are therefore GPL'ed?

It would be really comfortable for users to have them shipped with the
plugin as they are possibly the best maintained mime dbs around.

-David

P.s.: There was a similiar question 4 years ago: [3]

[1]
https://github.com/davidpersson/media/tree

[2] http://github.com/davidpersson/media/blob/master/vendors/mime_glob.php
http://github.com/davidpersson/media/blob/master/vendors/mime_magic.php