XDG Icon Spec: requesting new icons for headsets, speakers, headphones

Rodney Dawes dobey.pwns at gmail.com
Tue May 12 14:40:48 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-12 at 23:19 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sat, 02.05.09 16:14, Lennart Poettering (mzkqt at 0pointer.de) wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 21.04.09 01:41, Lennart Poettering (mzkqt at 0pointer.de) wrote:
> >
> > > I am still convinced that having these four (or five) icon names for
> > > all things audio woul be sufficient:
> > >
> > >     audio-card          --- the generic icon for everything audio that has no or an unknown form factor
> > >     audio-headset       --- Mono/Duplex audio devices that are attached to one's head
> > >     audio-headphones    --- Stereo/Playback only audio devices that are  attached to one's head
> > >     audio-speakers      --- Standalone speakers. Black boxes
> > >     audio-handsfree     --- handsfree devices, no priority
> > >
> > > That would only require the addition of three (or four) new
> > > icons. That's it. No renaming. No discussions about hierarchies.
> >
> > Rodney, please, can we agree on these icons now?

I really would like input from someone other than you. Someone else that
would be using the same icons in their software. People that use the
icons that I recommended renaming. But apparently the community just
doesn't care. Developers will either use what's available, demand
something else be added, or just use whatever they want anyway. The
latter 2 seem to be the common case, unfortunately.

> I decided to just go ahead and make use of these icons names
> now. I have been trying to get this into the spec now for two
> months, unsuccessfully.
>
> Disappointed,
>         Lennart

Just as I am as well. I've no problem adding and renaming icons in the
spec, but we really need community input, and not one developer
demanding a few icons without any real consensus. Why does no one want
to be involved, yet everyone wants to complain? It's ridiculous.