Fwd: Actions extensions in File Manager

Pierre Wieser pwieser at trychlos.org
Thu Nov 26 03:44:28 PST 2009

Hi guys,

I'm the Nautilus-Actions (N-A) maintainer.
N-A is an extension to Nautilus, the Gnome file manager,
which allows (advanced) users to add their own actions
in the context menu.

This is so very similar to Konqueror Service Menus and
thunar-actions-plugin.

While N-A actions used to be stored in GConf system, which
is the general Gnome system for configuration storage, I'm
currently working on making use of desktop entry files.

I know Konqueror Service Menus already makes use of desktop
files ([1]), as Thunar does, or is going to do, in Xfce.

Do you think it would be possible, and profitable for our
users, to be able to share actions between Xfce-KDE-Gnome ?
(this would probably imply having common search path, common
interpretation of extension keys, and so on...)

Actually, I've already started to work with Jelle de Jong
(Xfce), and Michael Pyne (KDE) suggested me to ping this list.

Is this list the correct place to host such a discussion ?
Or should this list only receive some sort of regular
progress points ?
Or does this list not care at all of such a topic ?

A very first draft of draft is available at [2].

Thanks in advance for your opinions
Regards
Pierre

[1] http://developer.kde.org/documentation/tutorials/dot/servicemenus.html