Fwd: Actions extensions in File Manager

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Fri Nov 27 03:59:35 PST 2009

On Friday, 2009-11-27, Ted Gould wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-11-26 at 14:30 +0100, Pierre Wieser wrote:
> > However, these two threads refer to a 'Desktop Action' which
> > was present in current 0.9.4 spec, but has disappeared from
> > latest 1.1. Does this mean the 'Desktop Action' entry has been
> > obsoleted ?
>
> More specifically, it was deleted in the 0.9.6 version as it was in
> 0.9.5.  I am too curious about these, as I was looking at trying
> something similar for a couple messaging menu features.  I'd much prefer
> to use something standard.

Good question, since it seems it had already been implemented by at least two
file managers.
Maybe there is a commit log detailing the removal reasoning?

> One thing that seems to be lacking is there is not ShownIn/NotShownIn
> keys for the actions.  It would seem like that'd be useful for them.

Wouldn't that already be covered by the respective value of the desktop file
itself?
I.e. if the application shows up in the launcher menu, why would its action
not show up in the file manager or vice versa?

Cheers,
Kevin