Case insensitive mimetype matching edge case

David Faure faure at kde.org
Wed Sep 2 02:28:43 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 02 September 2009, Francois Gouget wrote:
> David Faure a écrit :
> [...]
>
> > I think it's simpler to make *.c case-sensitive as well, so that we don't
> > need to care about priorities. That's what I did in my most recent patch
> > sent to this list and in my implementation, works fine.
>
> It seems to m ethat the lack of a defined order will make it hard for
> third-parties (ISVs) to add case-sensitive globs that conflict with an
> existing case-insensitive glob.
>
> So imagine we go back a few decades and an ISV ports his compiler for a
> newfangled object-oriented programming language stored in .C source
> files. Because there's already a glob for .c files that ISV would be
> unable to add a glob for .C files without also modifying the file
> shipped by the desktop environment for .c files. Bad!
>
> Of course this kind of situation may also never happen again.
> (and creating a new extension that only differs in case with an existing
> one was a pretty bad idea in the first place)

Yes. I can see the theoretical problem, but I don't think solving it is worth
it, because such a setup (case-specific file extensions) is a very bad idea
in the first place (confusing and not portable). I'd much rather keep it simple
(there are enough "priority" concepts in the spec already) and fast.