Mime/Icon association

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Tue Mar 2 06:26:42 PST 2010

Hello,

I am searching for a way to tell filemanagers about a certain mime type
and a according icon. What I could do is to install the mime type xml file
in the style described here:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/AddingMIMETutor

Additional I have added a <generic-icon name="oyranos_logo"/> element. But
this seems to have no effect (dolphin and nautilus). In fact this icon is
provided as PNG in:
~/.local/share/icons/hicolor/128x128/apps/oyranos_logo.png   and
$(prefix)/share/pixmaps/oyranos_logo.png
The icons in that paths are used for applications just fine, e.g.
inkscape.

Is my mime xml file somehow wrong (attached)?
Is on freedesktop.org a tutorial on how to install a application including
a own data format?

I must admit the spec pages on freedesktop.org is somewhat confusing.
There are even specs which do not have a date inside, especially the
"Shared MIME-info Database" spec.

Perhaps the generic-icon element is simply not yet implemented?

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--
developing for colour management