Draft "StatusNotifierIcon" broken by design

Oswald Buddenhagen ossi at kde.org
Wed May 19 13:59:04 PDT 2010

as i wrote in the mail i linked:

> > i could start an app on a remote display within my session, and i
> > definitely do not want its window on the remote display but the tray
> > icon on the local display

of course this is a bizarre corner case not worth much thought. at least
that's what you'll think until you actually run into it yourself (be it
because you are testing something or because you are setting up some
weird kiosk environment).

i don't think that problem even *can* be solved with the current
possibilities, as there is no straight-forward way to tell whether
$DISPLAY belongs to $DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS. consequently the best you
can (and should) do is describing the problem in a "limitations"
section, not even necessarily under compatibility.