[RFC] XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Lennart Poettering mzkqt at 0pointer.de
Mon Nov 8 19:20:16 PST 2010

On Sun, 07.11.10 11:26, Ryan Lortie (desrt at desrt.ca) wrote:

> > What if the system resumes from suspend after 12 hours and the OS job to clean
> > the directory is executed before any of the apps had a chance to update mtime?
>
> Good point.  We could specify 6/12 hours as measured by the monotonic
> clock except that file timestamps are in real time.  This is tricky...

Hmm, I'd suggest adding to this spec the rule that files should not be
deleted if the wallclock time was changed less than 5mins of monotonic
time ago, or the system was resumed less than 5mins of monotonic time
ago. This should fix your problem, right?

Of course, right now it is not that easy on Linux to get the necessary
information from the kernel to implement these tests. However, at last
for the wallclock time change test this will change shortly.

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.