[RFC] XDG_RUNTIME_DIR

Kevin Krammer kevin.krammer at gmx.at
Tue Nov 9 01:13:26 PST 2010

On Tuesday, 2010-11-09, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sun, 07.11.10 11:26, Ryan Lortie (desrt at desrt.ca) wrote:
> > > What if the system resumes from suspend after 12 hours and the OS job
> > > to clean the directory is executed before any of the apps had a chance
> > > to update mtime?
> >
> > Good point.  We could specify 6/12 hours as measured by the monotonic
> > clock except that file timestamps are in real time.  This is tricky...
>
> Hmm, I'd suggest adding to this spec the rule that files should not be
> deleted if the wallclock time was changed less than 5mins of monotonic
> time ago, or the system was resumed less than 5mins of monotonic time
> ago. This should fix your problem, right?

I guess it depends whether common methods of sleeping are based on actual
time, i.e. do select/poll/sleep return when having been given a timeout of 6h
and the system was suspended during that time?

> Of course, right now it is not that easy on Linux to get the necessary
> information from the kernel to implement these tests. However, at last
> for the wallclock time change test this will change shortly.

Hmm, doesn't sound very ensuring. How about other operating system that
software following freedesktop.org standards is commonly run on, e.g. *BSD,
Solaris?

Since you guys have put this auto delete on age feature into the list you
probably have a good use case for it. Maybe you could elaborate on it so we
others can also take it into our considerations.

Thanks,
Kevin