desktop-entry-spec: Add an optional Keywords key

Peter Brett peter at peter-b.co.uk
Thu Dec 1 11:21:21 PST 2011

Florian Müllner <fmuellner at gnome.org> writes:

> With search gaining traction as being the preferred way to locate
> applications (not only in GNOME), the existing .desktop file fields
> meant for browsing often produce insufficient results.
> For that reason, gnome-control-center introduced a custom
> X-GNOME-Keywords field (see [0] for an example), but as the key would be
> useful for other processes searching through .desktop files, I'd like to
> propose it for standardization.

Hi Florian,

What do you think about this alternative wording for the description?

"A list of strings which may be used in addition to other metadata to
describe this desktop entry.  This can be useful e.g. to facilitate
searching through entries.  The values should not be redundant with the
values of Name or GenericName."

In your submitted patch you mention a "Description" key, which doesn't
exist in the specification.  You also specify "localized strings" in the
description, which implies that the key SHOULD be translated.  However,
the localestring(s) type only indicates that the key MAY be translated.

Otherwise, sure, I guess this looks okay to me.  I wonder to what extent
it'll be abused by upstream developers cramming in any and every even
vaguely related keyword, though.

                                Peter

--
Peter Brett <peter at peter-b.co.uk>