desktop-entry-spec: Add an optional Keywords key

Florian Müllner fmuellner at gnome.org
Thu Dec 1 13:09:53 PST 2011

On jue, 2011-12-01 at 19:21 +0000, Peter Brett wrote:
> What do you think about this alternative wording for the description?

Sure, works for me.

> In your submitted patch you mention a "Description" key, which doesn't
> exist in the specification.

Yeah, my bad - our API uses get_description() for the Comment field.

> Otherwise, sure, I guess this looks okay to me.  I wonder to what extent
> it'll be abused by upstream developers cramming in any and every even
> vaguely related keyword, though.

That may indeed be an issue. No immediate idea how to address this other
than to appeal to anyone's sane judgement; also abusing Keywords looks
less bad than abusing the Comment field (which we use as well in
search).

Other than that, I found another issue:

"For historical reasons KDE is using some KDE-specific extensions that
 are currently not prefixed by a X-KDE- prefix.

 - KDE specific keys: ServiceTypes, DocPath, Keywords,
                      InitialPreference"

Is that a blocker or is (X-KDE-)Keywords compatible with this proposal
(and Keywords can be removed from the KDE-only section)?

Regards,
Florian