desktop-entry-spec: Add an optional Keywords key

Simon McVittie simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk
Fri Dec 2 04:26:43 PST 2011

On Thu, 01 Dec 2011 at 19:21:21 +0000, Peter Brett wrote:
> You also specify "localized strings" in the
> description, which implies that the key SHOULD be translated.  However,
> the localestring(s) type only indicates that the key MAY be translated.

"localizable strings" maybe? The point is that it *can* be translated.

> Otherwise, sure, I guess this looks okay to me.  I wonder to what extent
> it'll be abused by upstream developers cramming in any and every even
> vaguely related keyword, though.

If it's abused, that's just a bug like any other, and can be addressed like
any other bug: sending patches upstream[1], patching out the bug in
distributions, or as a last resort, forking, replacing or otherwise ceasing
to use software from that upstream.

[1] in this case, getting the patches accepted would require convincing the
    upstream developer that they were wrong; but that's sometimes true for
    other bugs too, most obviously design flaws.